Reporting into our Directors you will underwrite surety business in accordance with the Company’s business plan and within its delegated underwriting authority. Underwriting opportunities from across the UK, the successful candidate will focus on building the Company’s surety offering, in order to service the needs of the Company’s clients in line with ICW’s risk appetite and its underwriting guidelines.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Analyse surety opportunities in accordance with the business plan through high-quality analysis of both the credit assessment and experience of the presented client and its proposed development
- Attend and participate in client and broker meetings to build and maintain strong relationships to maximise influence and drive business origination
- Negotiate and prepare necessary contract documentation including, facility documentation, corporate counter-indemnities and bond wording
- Develop relationships in line with the Business Plan to support the achievement of business objectives
- Participate fully and use your expertise to shape and develop strategy, knowledge and best practice
- Positively promote the department, division and company as a whole, in order to maximise brand leverage
- Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met
- Adhere to underwriting standards, instructions and good practice to minimise risk and maximise efficiency
- Actively keep abreast of market dynamics and demonstrate market cycle awareness to be able to operate effectively and appropriately
- Help support and mentor other junior underwriters in the team as the team expands
Qualifications, knowledge and skills:
- A professional insurance qualification (e.g ACII)
- 3 years previous experience within the UK surety market or financial services role, within either a broker or underwriting related capacity
- Strong credit analysis skills and understanding of financial statements
- Knowledge of and the ability to negotiate bond wording and corporate counter-indemnities.
- Clear knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and negotiate
- Good organisational and prioritisation skills
- A high level of numeracy and literacy with the ability to analyse data and interpret for decision-making
- Use of risk profiling and pricing tools and loss models
- Negotiable, subject to experience.
As part of the ICW Group everyone is:
- expected at all times to behave and act in a way which promotes and contributes to the overall aims, values and ethos of the Company.
- required to participate in regular training and other learning activities, and in supervision, appraisal and development as required by the Company’s policies and procedures. required to participate in any relevant current and new legislative and regulatory activities as may occur from time to time.